Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thankful...8

I originally had something else planned for today, but then during the middle of lunch, a massive rain storm moved in and it reminded me how thankful I am for nature. For a place that is so terribly humid, Houston has been very dry (to which my hair says "thank you"). I don't understand it, I don't make the rules, I just know I'm appreciative of the much needed rain.

Now, to those I left back in Oklahoma, this gratitude probably doesn't resonate so well. And after Snowmageddon, tornado season, the Mojave desert that moved in for a couple of months and now three earthquakes with a tornado warning thrown in the middle...I completely understand your desire to swat the back of my head...but just hear me out.


(This isn't my parent's pond...but it's the closest Google had to offer)
 Growing up, when I needed time and space to myself, I would always go down to the bank of our pond...usually with a couple of dogs and cats in tow. It was usually quiet and peaceful. I'd watch the water ripple and the animals and insects stir. It gave a me a place to be still myself. What I usually came away with was the gentle reminder that it's not all about me...regardless of what I would like to think. I am an integral part of it all, but it doesn't revolve around me. In that same way, the thunderstorms don't care that I just washed my car, and the earthquakes aren't concerned with the foundation of my house...it's just nature doing what it needs to do. Unless, of course, you believe the end of times are closer than they appear...then yeah, you should probably be freaking out a little (or excited to go to heaven...which ever category you fall into). 

All that said, I still don't get why we need mosquitos. Bats have other things they can eat. Maybe the makers of Benadryl cream make a huge donation to mission funds or something...who knows. Hopefully I'll find out one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment