Grace: mercy; clemency; pardon
I have an e-mail subscription to Max Lucado's daily inspirations, and today's, in particular, made me think a little more than some.*
I'm thankful for all of the grace I am afforded. From my boss when I screw up a report, from friends when I say or do something out of line, and from the people on the tollway that let me in instead of passing me. But none of these come close to comparing to the grace given to me by God.
As I've gotten older, my thoughts, perceptions and understanding about my faith has evolved...as I think it probably should. And as a natural problem solver, I've always put grace into this category of "to tackle later", because I couldn't wrap my head around it and it quite honestly frustrated the heck out of me. So, I just decided to accept it as fact and work on the "whats" and "hows" at a later date.
I guess today is the later date.
God extends grace to us, and really only asks us to accept it. Why is it so hard, sometimes, to just accept something? Perhaps, it's just that we live in a world where everything is earned...whether by wealth, talent, status, or hard work...we (I) feel the need to justify everything. I can't justify grace. I can't earn it. I've done nothing to deserve it. God bestowed favor on me so that I could have eternal life simply because I accept it from Him. There's not an ... x+y=z ...type formula. There are no "whats" and "hows". It just is.
I suppose what I've learned through this isn't necessarily what grace is, but what God is. He's that adoptive parent (in the article I referenced above) that says, you're going to screw up, you're going to have ups and downs, and yes, I'm going to get frustrated with you...but I love you regardless. Just keep coming back to me, and one day, I'll bring you home.
* "I know a lot of people have different views than I, but that is fine, and I hope you have enough decency to give me what I give you, respect about my beliefs. " - (my friend, Sacha)
No comments:
Post a Comment