Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Weekend Updates


I don't feel like I have a lot to say, but I feel like I need to write. So here I am.

I'm eating tomato soup and an apple for lunch. No, I'm not trying to lose weight, it's just that I have an entire coconut cream pie from Cattleman's in my refrigerator at home. That pie just might be dinner. How'd I acquire a pie from Cattleman's here in Houston, you ask? Here's what happened...

About three weeks ago, my brother called me and told me about one of our dad's veterinarian friends that had called him. The Oklahoma Veterinary Medical Association had selected him as the Veterinarian of the Year and they asked if we could come up so we could be there when he was presented the award. Mind you, our dad had no clue about any of this. Fast forward to this past weekend...my brother and I are at a convention center, standing at the back of the room (dad has no idea we're there) and the presenter starts to talk about the award recipient and finally announces dad's name. We're instructed to follow him to the stage and stand off to the side. He accepts the award and starts off the stage and the photographer motions for us to go and take a picture with him. It's at that point that he sees us, jumps back in shock, and then gets pretty teary-eyed. It was pretty cool. 

Afterwards, we took him to Cattleman's to eat a celebratory lunch/dinner. I let him go off of his diet a bit (okay, a lot) and get calf fries. (Ick!) It was then that my brother ordered two pieces of coconut cream pie to-go, one for him and one for his wife. The waitress tells him that he can either get two pieces for $7.50, or a whole pie for $8.45. He opted for the whole pie. Later, upon telling his wife that he got a coconut cream pie for them...we learned that she does not like coconut cream pie. 

So, now I have a whole coconut cream pie in my refrigerator. Okay, so I have two-thirds of a coconut cream pie in my refrigerator. 


On Sunday, we went by to look at the progress on the house. There wasn't anyone there working on it, so we went in for a closer look. Below are the bones of the staircase and the kitchen island. Those were the only elements that were very discernible.







It's currently raining pretty heavily outside. I desperately want a caramel brulee latte and my favorite pillow...but there's report/spreadsheet/invoice deciphering that must be tended to. 



2 comments:

  1. I remember when your dad introduced me to calf fries at Pete's. If I'd have known what they were I wouldn't have eaten them. Now I wish they were on a menu somewhere in south MS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried them when I was little, and I honestly can't remember what they taste like. I'm sure they're tasty or so many people wouldn't eat them...but I just can't do it!

      Delete