Yesterday when I went to the grocery store, I saw this bin of what looked like limes on steroids. I normally would just pass it up, but I read the sign and it's description. They were Pomelos, and they are supposed to be simialr to grapefruit, but a little sweeter. I normally don't care for grapefruit, but I hadn't tried them in a while, and this seemed to be a milder version...so I bought it.
To give you an idea of size, this is the Pomelo next to a two-cup measuring cup. It's about the size of a cantelope.
The inside had a lot more of the white pith than most other citrus, but perhaps it grows in taller trees and has to withstand a longer fall. I'll Google it later, but that's my assumption for now.
Verdict? Not half bad! It does have a little of the sour/bitter taste of a grapefruit, but much milder. I looked up the health benefits and it has a lot of antioxidants (cancer fighters), of course Vitamin C, quite a bit of Vitamin B, and potassium. It's supposedly really good for your heart as well. The fruit originated in China, and the health of many of its citizens is in part attributed to this fruit.
The good thing about it is that it is so large, you only need to buy one...you can cut it into quarters and eat it for a few of days. I think the next time I make a fruit salad, I will get one of these and segment it...I think it would be a nice swap for super sweet oranges.
So, there's my food revelation for the week!


No comments:
Post a Comment