So, our anniversary was the 3rd, but we decided to wait until the weekend to really celebrate. The evening of the 3rd, however, we did go out to eat...just something fun... not fancy. We went to a place called Captain Tom's. The restaurant looks like and old fishing boat and seeing it from the highway I thought, this has to be cheesy. I read up on some reviews and it got good ratings, so we decided to give it a try since we both LOVE seafood. The inside is all bar top, no tables, and it's a very "divey" type place...no frills whatsoever. I got a cup of gumbo, and we ordered a seafood platter so we could share and try different things. Growing up on my Mamaw in Mississippi's gumbo, I'm kind of picky...okay, really picky when it comes to gumbo or jambalaya. This was pretty freakin' good. Actually, about the closest I've ever had a restaurant come to my Mamaw's. The fried seafood was all really good too. You could tell they were using fresh seafood...and that makes all the difference.
I started thinking why we haven't really gone out and about on weekends since we've been here...other than our occasional trips an outlet mall or something. Of course the holidays and such have kept us busy, but then I remembered the all important Fall/Winter event...Football. A lot of women have to deal with their husband's going hunting, for me, it's football. College on Saturdays, NFL on Sundays.
So this weekend since football season is basically over (hallelujah!!), we decided to go roam around some shopping districts in Houston. Our first stop, however, was to go by and see the progress on our house. We have cement!
Our next stop was breakfast. Earlier in the week a co-worker and I went to a deli that we saw on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, called Kenny & Ziggy's. It's a traditional Jewish deli, but with a whole lot more than just corned beef and pickled herring. The menu was actually so big, I had to set it in my lap to see it all. I decided to go kind of traditional and had the pastrami sandwich (below). I'm not a big rye bread fan, so that's why you see it on a club roll. It's not cheap, but with the portion sizes, two people could easily split a meal.
Anyway, so after Kyle and I went to look at the progress on the house, we wanted to go to breakfast. I remembered that Kenny & Ziggy's had a breakfast menu, and it is in the shopping area we wanted to look around in...so that's what we did! I had the Challah French Toast, and Kyle had the Monte Cristo. They did something with their Monte Cristo that I really liked...instead of deep frying the whole sandwich, they basically did the bread french toast style and then loaded it with ham and turkey...no greasy mess! I was happy Kyle liked it as much as I did. Definitely a place we'll take people who come to visit.
After breakfast, we hit some furniture and clothing stores. It was about 75 degrees outside that day, so it was a wonderful day to walk around the outdoor shopping areas. We didn't really buy anything, we were mainly getting ideas of what was available to us when we do get to a point we need to start furnishing our house. One thing became apparent, however, we don't exactly agree on decor/styling. Kyle wants a color scheme, everything to match, and be symmetrical. I, on the other hand, am a little more eclectic. I like a mix of old and new, rustic and fussy, and although I like everything to "go" together...I'm not much for matching. I don't like to fill spaces just to fill them...I want them to be interesting or have a point/meaning. Over the years I've found that typically, if it's something I absolutely love, it will go with whatever else I have that I love (this is keeping scale and other things in mind).
I made the deal that he could do the game room and theater room however he wanted (except OU crap) and I got the rest of the house. I'll let you know how that works out. [insert skepticism]
That evening, we wanted to go to a nice dinner, so I found this Italian restaurant in our area via Urbanspoon. I was skeptical when we pulled up because it was in this strip mall and the store-front didn't look like much. When we got inside, however, it felt like you were in someones private wine cellar. The restaurant only held about 35 guests, which made the whole experience a little more intimate. We were handed menus, but shortly there after, a handsome Italian guy came to our table with a chalkboard. He explained that we could order off of the menu, but most everyone ordered from the board. He went through every dish on the board, about 25, and I decided on the spinach and butternut squash ravioli, and Kyle got the papparadelle with seafood. Both dishes were excellent! Not to mention the plating...they took time to make it pretty. I think Kyle has some pictures...but I don't. : ( What made it fun, though, was that it wasn't your normal restaurant in that there wasn't one waiter for every few tables...there were three people waiting on all of the tables, and one bus boy. It made you feel like you were in the big dining room of someones home. That being said, I imagine you have to go into dinner there with an Italian attitude...You're not in a hurry, and dinner is more than a meal, you're being fed with love.
My birthday is in a few weeks...I think I know where I want to go for dinner ; )
Sunday we just hung out, cleaned the house (a.k.a. operation recover from Christmas, New Year's and traveling). Not eventful, but necessary. I just function a little better when other parts my life are in order. Okay, so maybe the clean laundry is still in the basket instead of folded neatly in my drawers...but at least I'm not digging through the back of my underwear drawer (don't lie, you've done this too) trying to decide between the pair that should have been thrown out long ago or the pair that makes me uncomfortable because of how much they've shrunk. No, I swear they shrunk!! Okay, so perhaps a gained a couple of lbs or five. Either way, I don't have to worry about it because my laundry is clean. See? Problem solved.
I just realized that it is in fact Wednesday and I'm just now posting about our weekend. Oh well.





No comments:
Post a Comment