Saturday, January 14, 2012

Randomness

1. I talk a lot about food, restaurants, and cooking...but I'd feel like an impostor if I called myself a "foodie". Here's why, I like a lot of different types of food and I like trying new things and just learning about all of it...but I also have quite a list of things I absolutely despise...

cucumbers - I wish I did...but they make me gag (pickles are okay). I swallowed a sushi roll whole once when I was eating lunch with some co-workers. I realized after I put it in my mouth that it had cucumber in it. I couldn't chew it or I would have thrown up...so I just swallowed it.
raw onions - the crunch, again, makes me gag
lamb - don't know why, just not a huge fan
olives - don't shoot me. I'm getting better, though. I don't mind them in things or on pizza, but I just do not care for them alone


[I guess it's obvious at this point that I'm not much for Greek restaurants]


cilantro - I guess I have that enzyme in my saliva, but whatever the reason...it's bitter and nasty


...there are more, but these are the major ones I can think of right now


2. Did you know fortune cookies didn't originate in China? I was very disenchanted when we asked our guide in China about them and she was really confused. 


3. Have you also noticed how fortune cookies have gotten away from actual, specific fortunes and are instead giving vague statements. No fun..."in bed!"


4. I need to get to the gym. ASAP. I've watched some coverage of the marathon being held today in downtown Houston that is apparently one of the more elite marathons, not to mention that it's serving as the trials for the 2012 Olympics. Makes me feel kind of pathetic, physically. 


5. Some of my Christmas stuff is still out/up. I guess I didn't get enough of it out for it to bother me.


6. I want my house to be finished!! Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for our rental, but it's got a lot of quirks that are starting to get a bit irritating. Squeaks and pops in the floor, security system will randomly beep (and by randomly, I mean in the middle of the night), doors and locks that are tricky, garage door has a mind of its own, etc.


7. My birthday is exactly a month from today. 


8. When I pick the goop out of my dog's eye, he follows my hand around so he can eat said goop. Proof that little boys are gross.


9. I'm (sadly) happy that the Van Der Sloot kid finally got put in prison for murder. It's awful that it took another dead girl to get the result. I feel sorry for Natalie Holloway's family, that they never found a body and Van Der Sloot never admitted to the murder so that they could get some real closure. 


10. I had no idea the phrase "fixin' to go..." was a regional thing until my brother went to college and his East Coast friends made fun of him. I still use it, though. 


I need to get my rear off of the couch and go get ready because we're fixin' to go look at our house and roam around the city. 


Happy Saturday, Ya'll!




2 comments:

  1. I get made fun of in Oklahoma for saying "fixin' to". I don't understand why. I can't wait to see pictures of you new house by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amos does it too as does a friend of mine's dog that's a girl...not a gross boy thing, just a gross dog thing. l like your randoms and hope, one day, you will enjoy good Kalamata olives as much as me :-) Looking forward to visiting soon! And, while I want you to go to the gym too, don't let the super freaks/awesome athletes make you feel too bad. Sometimes I get bummed out when I'm running my tempo workouts and realize they run 1.5 minutes faster than me every mile for a full marathon. Then I get over it. Also, the Camille Herron chick that led the first mile of the women's marathon trials, well, she's a cool chick. I've ran with her a couple of times...she runs a lot of miles...A LOT OF MILES!

    ReplyDelete