Let me explain. Growing up, my friend's mother used to throw these awesome Halloween parties. It wasn't your usual bob for apples and costume contest kind of party. And no, we weren't 7 and 8 year-olds...we were 17 and 18 year-olds. When we drove up, the clown from IT directed us where to park. Walking up to the house, there was a myriad of zombies and ghosts dragging us away from the door. Once inside we had snacks and did some usual chatting. Next, it was time for the scavenger hunt. This was especially fun being that their house was supposedly on an old Indian grave site and just down the street was a large, old cemetery. As the winning group ran back to the house for their prize, we were doused with water from water hose coming out of a second story window...and every team was a "winner". We ended the night by gathering in a completely dark living room, with exception of the glow from a few candles, for ghost stories. She told the best ghost stories in the world. They were obviously made up, but there was just enough reality mixed in that I would even start to question myself. They gave us all chills and the slightest noise from the staircase would make us jump.
I really miss those Halloween parties, but I miss Mrs. Sturdevant even more. Mrs. Sturdevant was taken from this world after battling cancer for a very long time. She wasn't just a good story-teller...she was our algebra teacher, our counselor, the cheer coach (not me of course), and our friend. I'm so glad that she is in heaven now, pain-free, but I know a lot of people on earth that hurt because of her absence.
I know that we all know or have known people with cancer, but it never gets easier to hear that diagnosis. Young or old...it just feels so wrong. Cancer doesn't discriminate. I guess I shouldn't say that Halloween necessarily makes me sad, it just makes think. It makes me think about those I have lost to cancer, and those whom I pray for to battle and prevail over the cancer they're fighting.
So today, I raise my Tootsie Pop and mini Snickers to those we have lost, we rejoice in your freedom from pain, and those who are fighting...may you kick cancer's butt. Amen.
Such a nice post! I miss Mrs. S too and mentioned her in my Halloween post as well. She sure loved telling those ghost stories.
ReplyDelete