Now, homecoming is a big deal to everyone at OSU...there are events every day that week on campus, the fountain is turned orange...there's just a festive spirit all week long. But no one gets as amped up for homecoming more than those in Greek life. Winning the sweepstakes (points earned through various homecoming competitions) means bragging rights for the entire year. Yes, there are other Greek competitions throughout the year...but this is the big one! We started in late August/early September (committee heads start planning from the end of last year's homecoming) and when we weren't in class or studying...we were at the frat house pomping.
Spending time at a frat house, sounds like fun...but swiping squares of tissue paper through a 5 gallon bucket of glue and stuffing it in chicken wire isn't exaclty glamorous. It did, however, provide ample opportunity to get to know your sisters, especially the ones you didn't get to see a lot. So, that was a plus.
This is an example of a house dec if you're not familiar. For scale, that is a 3-story frat house behind this thing and all of the color you see are those little squares of tissue paper...now you see why we start so early!
Walk-arounds are on Friday night (tonight) and that is when all of the house decorations have to be finished, ready for public viewing. The streets are shut down, bands are playing in parking lots, lots of vendors selling food, and everyone getting in the spirit for the football game on Saturday. The thing is, the weather is always perfect until the night before walk-arounds...last night. It never fails, a cold front and/or rain moves in making the assembly of the house dec MISERABLE! I remember my freshman year I was upside down under a tent at 3 a.m. in my ski jacket plastering a massive replica of the Lincoln Memorial. Those who make it to class on Friday look like they've just been through basic training, you look a little rough...but it's so worth it. When you go to walkarounds and see the whole thing put together and working (there's a lot of engineering, welding, and moving pieces that go into it) it's just awesome!
A few years ago when I was cleaning out some of my things to take to Goodwill, I found a pair of tennis shoes with pomps (tissue) glued to the bottom. Whoops!
I'm sorry I can't be in Stillwater this weekend, but I'll be there in spirit for sure! Go Kappa Delta, and GO POKES!!!!
(all images from various sites on Google)
No comments:
Post a Comment