Thursday, March 21, 2013

39 Weeks

Yep, I'm still pregnant.

We had our appointment with the OB yesterday. She did a growth scan to see what the baby is measuring, and I believe she said on three different occasions..."Where are you hiding this baby??". Apparently my belly doesn't look big enough to be incubating a 7 lb. 10 oz. baby (by ultrasound measurements). Of course, ultrasounds are notoriously off...but each measurement, the head, abdomen, and back, was roughly the same...and by feel she guessed 7 1/2 lbs. The funny thing we got to see on the ultrasound was why some of his movements have been so sharp and uncomfortable. He is head down, but his feet are not tucked under his butt (which is under my right rib cage), but rather one foot is in the left side of my abdomen, and the other is by his face (my bladder and colon). My doctor said that's typically a position they see in breech babies, but since he's head down, she didn't see there being any complications in delivery. In fact, she giggled and said that a lot of babies like that end up with ink on their ears after they do the footprints because it feels so natural for them to have their feet by their head.

The bad news is that I'm way behind in progressing, as in, I'm hardly progressed at all. So, after going over the risks and complications of being overdue, we discussed scheduling an induction in two weeks if the blessed event hasn't occurred by then. Of course, just from reading and being more intrenched in all things pregnancy, I knew a lot of the concerns for going over the due date, but Kyle apparently did not. He (rightly) came away being very concerned and has now made it his mission to help me have this baby on time. I've already decided that I'm going to need a new pair of tennis shoes to replace the ones that are getting worn out from walking so much. But I love him for that...that he's taken that much interest and is concerned enough for myself and the baby to want to help me do whatever I need to do to get things going.  

Oh, and the fun little tidbit of the day...after we left the office, the nurse called me to tell me that after going over my chart again, my OB doesn't want me to gain any more weight between now and when I deliver. I actually chuckled and said "Uh, okay." So you tell me that I am small to be carrying a baby the size that I am, and then tell me not to gain any more weight?? Listen, I'm 39 weeks pregnant...as long as I'm getting enough of the good things that my body and the baby needs, I really couldn't care less about eating an extra serving of dessert!! I'm not obese, I don't have high blood pressure (113/75, thank you very much), and I'm not having a monster baby...give me a break!

That's all I can think of to tell you at the moment. Everything else is still pretty much the same...I feel as big as a house, it's hard to get really comfortable, and my feet and ankles have started to swell a little. COME ON BABY!!!!             






4 comments: