But, that's just not the way things are working out.
As of right now, it looks like I'll be induced next week. I would love to go into labor on my own, but, given the risks to the baby of being overdue...I'll take the induction. The main risks are...the baby getting too large, the placenta deteriorating and not providing adequate nutrition to the baby, and the baby going into distress and passing meconium, which could then be swallowed causing breathing problems and pneumonia.
The one upside to the induction is the method that my OB wants to try. She first wants to try a Foley Bulb to get my cervix up and running, and then start Pitocin if needed. The Foley Bulb just prevents us (myself and the baby) from having to have even more "stuff" in our systems, which I prefer.
Today is also my last day of work until after my maternity leave is up. Of course anything could happen between now and getting induced, but it's nice to know that I can spend the next few days just resting and taking care of any little things that are still on my list. I kind of thought that I would be frantic and a little stressed at this point about being gone from work for such a long time, but I pretty much had everything taken care of a couple of weeks ago, so other than maintenance, there's really not much to get worked up about.
I'm holding up okay, but I will admit that my hormones have gotten the best of me a couple of times over this past week. I think just the physical strain on my body, coupled with the unknown of how my body is going to change (or not) over the next week, finally got to me. Not to mention the fact that I'm normally not an emotional person, so I really didn't know what to do when some of the anxiety, frustration, and pain started coming to a head. Poor Kyle, he really didn't know what to do. He's used to me being the even-keeled one. I guess this is one time in my life when I'm granted a pass on being crazy from time to time ; )
I told someone yesterday, that I realize that being the parent of a newborn is exhausting work, but at least you have something to show for it. I'm just tired of being tired because I exist. Getting into bed is a feat on its own, and Kyle gets a good chuckle at how hard I'm breathing by the time I actually lay down. Pregnancy really makes you consider those mechanical, reclining beds that they advertise for the elderly.
Bright side: The only bonus of being the size of a beached whale...I haven't had to iron any of my tops for the past week...I put them on and any wrinkles that were there get stretched out.
Even with everything I complain about, I'm really not as miserable as it all sounds. I'm still able to get out and do things that I either enjoy, or need to do, without too much of an issue. And for the most part, when I'm up and going, I'm really not that uncomfortable. My main issue lately has become parking. Finding enough space that I can get out of my car can be difficult at times. I feel sorry for the people that are parked on the right side of me. I should probably write them an apology note.
Another bummer for us this week was that we learned one of our best neighbors is moving (job relocation). We've gotten to be friends with this particular family over the last few months, and they've really been supportive of us during the pregnancy. Besides just the friendship, the big heart-breaker is that I'm losing my built-in baby sitter. They have a 15 year old daughter that had already volunteered to babysit for us, and being that she (and her mother) were just a few houses away made me feel really good about the situation. But, there's a slew of young families in our neighborhood, so I'm certain I can get a recommendation pretty easily.
Now that I think about that...I bet babysitting in our area is a complete racket!
A little (or completely) off topic...over the past couple of months, as I've cooked big batches of things, I've frozen some of it into smaller portions for us to have after the baby comes. Last weekend, I made a big pot of gumbo. Gumbo really isn't that difficult to make, it's just a little time consuming...especially making roux from scratch. You get hot and sweaty, and your arm starts to feel like it's going to fall off...but by George you stand there and stir because the last thing you want are burnt bits that cause you to have to start completely over. Well, I ran across this method of making roux in the oven, and I was intrigued. Not only do you not have to stand over the pot and stir for an hour (or more), but you can make a relatively large batch and store it in smaller portions for the next time you need roux for something. Since I had the time (in the event it burned), I gave it a try, and I'll be John Brown if it didn't work! It took about two hours, but the result was a really nice, dark roux. I had enough for the batch of gumbo I was working on, and I stored probably 3 cups in two smaller mason jars. Anyway, I know it's off topic from the regular baby stuff, but while it was on my mind, I thought I'd share ; )
How Far Along: 40 Weeks
Size of baby: I'm going to guess around 8 lbs.
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Yeah right.
Maternity Clothes: At this point, if it covers my belly, and doesn't cut into my hips...it gets worn.
Movement: Although a bit restricted, he's still moving like crazy. I almost got sick last night because I think he stretched out and pushed my entire digestive tract into my esophagus.
Sleep: It's hit or miss. I try to nap as much as possible simply because getting long periods of sleep just isn't going to happen. I can sleep at night once I get comfortable, but I inevitably wake up to pee or because my hips/back are killing me.
What I miss: Not feeling like a walrus.
Cravings: Funny enough, I haven't really wanted anything heavy lately. I ate a hamburger and fries the other day, and felt awful the rest of the afternoon.
Symptoms: Braxton Hicks contractions are becoming more frequent...but that's about it.
Best Moment this week: Knowing for certain that I will have our baby in the next week. That makes me so incredibly happy!
Yay, wahoo, not too many people can say they made it to 40 weeks (like me for both pregnancies). You are part of a select few.
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, good job being patient and letting baby grow. I'm always amazed at how aware full term (and I mean 40+ week) babies are when they are born. Cannot wait.
Enjoy this sweet time with Kyle.
Almost there! You won't regret waiting for your little guy a bit longer, I promise! He will eat, sleep, and gain weight so much better than early babies. I went to 40 + 5 and she was just so alert and healthy from the start. I'm so excited for you to meet your little guy (soon!!) and can't wait to see pictures! Best of luck with the induction!
ReplyDeleteYou know, until you and the previous commenter mentioned it, I hadn't thought about the benefits of the baby being "older" than most newborns...but it makes perfect sense!
Delete