Monday, February 11, 2013

Breastfeeding 101

So, we went to breastfeeding class last Wednesday night. I was glad we went because there were some things that I knew, but others that I obviously didn't. I plan on using a lacation consultant once we get home (or at least have on lined up) to help with any issues that we may have, but like birth, I wanted to know what to expect and be made aware of how to remedy issues as they occur rather than stopping to read three pages from a website while trying to soothe a screaming baby...and perhaps a bawling mother.

One thing the instructor (a lactation nurse) did well, was reassure us of how little babies really need those first few days, and that if they are having dirty diapers, then it's very likely that we (and our breasts) are doing their job. That's not to say that I wouldn't have appreciated God installing a digital read-out on the top of my boobs that showed capacity and withdrawl amounts... But, like I said, she went overboard about how small babies stomachs are at birth (cherry to walnut-sized!) and that a teaspoon or so at a time was really all they need.

Funny moment (because there always is one), was when she was having us practice different feeding positions with baby dolls. Apparently Baby Blair wasn't too keen on sharing his space with another baby figure, because regardless of where I held the doll, on top of my stomach, at the side, up and down, etc...he managed to make it very clear that he didn't care for the doll being there by kicking and rolling around. My poor doll couldn't nurse very well because it kept getting assaulted.

Oh, and during the section about what to and not to eat while breastfeeding, Kyle raised his hand and asked about marijauna use...because, he announced, that had been my craving during my entire pregnancy and he was concerned that I wouldn't breastfeed if I couldn't smoke after giving birth. All I could do was shake my head. I'm just happy the instructor realized that he was kidding.

.........................................................................................................

Moral of the story, though: Like most things that have to do with babies and children...you can prepare all you want, but until you are actually presented with the situation/circumstance, you can't really say exactly what you will or won't do because so much depends on the baby. I plan on giving it my best shot, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment