I'll do a whole post on my showers later, but I had one in Tulsa this past weekend, and I have one at work this coming week! I've said it before, but they're just so much fun because it's such a good feeling to know that other people are as excited about this change in our lives as we are.
We had a really good visit with the OB this week. Most of our past few visits have been fairly quick because, well, there hasn't been anything of concern. Blood, good. Urine, good. BP, good. Fetal heartbeat, good. But this visit we started talking a lot more about the birth and what to do/what to expect. I had decided that I wasn't going to write out a lengthy birth plan, because quite frankly, there's not much out of the ordinary that I want. But I asked my OB about it, and she just basically have me her typical protocol for various situations, and things she's okay with and things she is not. For instance, she's all for having an unmedicated delivery if that's what the patient wants, but she is not okay with a patient who is 7 cm dilated not being on a fetal heart monitor. I don't have a problem with either of those.
Then we started discussing Bulldogs. It's kind of a long story, but my Dad and I were discussing the high rate of c-sections in Bulldogs because most have problems birthing their puppies. Well, somehow this came up when speaking with my OB, and she said that it was interesting that I mentioned that because that actual issue with Bulldogs has sparked more research into women's health; primarily the ability to birth babies vaginally. Basically, the premise is that because of modern medicine, we are now able to save a lot more mothers and babies that might have otherwise died prior to or during childbirth. This removes the natural selection process and has led to the reproduction of females who do not physically have the ability to carry and/or birth a baby; inferior females breeding inferior females, essentially. Of course there are many other factors involved in this, but I think it's an interesting point in light of a lot of the "Business of Being Born" type information that's currently so highly visible.
I felt his foot! Earlier this week at work, I was sitting at my desk and I felt a sharp jab in my side. I reached down to feel what was poking me and I could feel this small, flat, hard thing pushing on my right side...and I realized that it was his foot! I swear if my skin hadn't been so tight I could have grabbed it. But I couldn't, so I just poked it until he pulled it back...because regardless of how cool it was, the feeling was still rather uncomfortable.
Another perk to pregnancy, your husband gets better medical care as well. Kyle hasn't been feeling well this week so he finally went to the doctor today (Friday) and the doctor told him that normally they would just make him live with whatever he has, but since I'm 8 months pregnant, they gave him a Z-Pak. [I should say, he didn't receive "better" medical care...he's just going to be feeling well a lot sooner than he would have otherwise.]
How Far Along: 33+
Weeks
Size of baby: I'm
guessing 4-5 lbs...but who really knows.
Total Weight Gain/Loss:
Don't know, don't care!
Maternity Clothes: All the time, unless we're just hanging out at home. I've noticed that my pelvis has started the 'great divide', and so my pants aren't fitting quite as well as they were. Or at least that's what I'm choosing to believe...over the likely reality that I've packed on some fat stores. Either way, I'm trying to suck it up and live with it because I really don't want to buy more maternity clothes at this point.
Movement: Let's just say he hasn't run out of room yet! I keep worrying about him being head down, but it seems like he's still flipping around (his feet were in my right side yesterday afternoon, and in my left ribcage this morning), so I won't start getting concerned until my OB does.
Sleep: Naps are my friend. Finding a comfortable position is difficult these days, so sleeping for long periods of time just isn't possible. The good thing about this is that I've been getting to work extra early these past couple of weeks!
What I miss: Clothes. Normal clothes. I was looking through my InStyle magazine last night and it made me so desperate for skinny jeans, pencil skirts, and shift dresses...and not the kind with a huge elastic panel attached to the top!
Cravings: Sweets. Not good, especially now that the King Cakes are rolling into the office.
Symptoms: Just feeling like a big 'ol pregnant lady!
Best Moment this
week: Finally having all of our nursery furniture set up and a lot of other things put together and ready to go. There are still some necessities we need, but the majority of of the "big stuff" is done!
My husband and I were just talking last night about how C-sections are bypassing evolution and wondering if that played a part in the rising number of them or not. Interesting to think about! Didn't know about the bulldogs, that is really interesting.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting to think about. Obviously we aren't going to allow women or babies to pass for the sake of natural selection/evolution, but I think it sheds a little light on the rationale that OB's are evil and just want to cut women open for their convenience.
DeleteThere are a lot of dog breeds that have been so in-bred for show form, that their ability to actually be dogs has diminished (intelligence, ability to physically perform duties, give birth, etc...)