I also follow a couple of fashion and design blogs. Earlier today, I read one about the airy wears of white for the summer. But one thing the author said slapped me. She said, "...because Memorial Day "officially" marks that it is acceptable to wear white again".
Wait?!
What?!?
No, No, No. My dear, I believe you mean that Easter marks the official day upon which wearing white is acceptable.
There are a few major rules, as a Southerner, that cannot be broken. My Dad taught me to say "yes/no sir/ma'am" and call all adults "Mr./Mrs./Ms"...regardless of them asking me to call them by their first names. My Mother taught me how to set a proper table and that you never wear white before Easter or after Labor Day. Around February, I saw a woman in the office wearing white heels. I thought, poor thing, not to be raised up the right way...if she's wearing white shoes in February, she's simply doomed!
So I looked up the author of the blog post to check her credentials, and I discovered that she is from Chicago. Hmmm? Could it be that the North and South have different starting points regarding white clothing?
Upon further research, I found that indeed, the "rule" is that white is acceptable in the South on Easter, but Northerners have to wait until Memorial Day. Suggestions are that the South is earlier because it gets warmer there, earlier.
I suppose it's true...you do learn something new everyday.
From: H&M
Interesting. Here in Oklahoma I was taught white was "no white before Memorial Day" and then "no white after Labor Day". But of course, now there is the issue of "winter white" -- how do the rules apply to that?
ReplyDeleteWell, upon a little further research, the line running through Oklahoma that separated the North from the South ran just north of Tulsa...so it is very possible that you were influenced by the Yankees. I'm sorry ; )
DeleteAs far as "winter white" is concerned...no white after Labor Day refers to bright whites, linen (or other light materials), and white shoes, hats, and bags (see pic above). The tradition supposedly got started because the wealthy that could afford to go on vacation wore light-weight, white or light-colored clothing while on vacation because of the heat, and then put it all away around Labor Day when they returned and temperatures started to drop. Winter white is typically not bright white, if not cream, and is made of a heavier cotton or wool fabric, appropriate for cooler weather. For example, I have a winter white coat that is made of heavy wool.