Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It happens...

No, nothing major, really...just seems to be a series of stuff that just happens.

Before we hit the road to visit our families for Christmas, I took my Explorer to the Firestone store to get the brakes checked (a little squeaky sometimes) and to get my back-right tire looked at for a slow leak. I scheduled the first appointment they had and assumed I'd be there all of a couple of hours. I get there and of course half of their staff has called in sick, so they're already running behind from their work the day before. About three hours later, the store manager calls my name and says "I need to show you something". [Any time someone in the auto industry says "I need to show you something"...it's NEVER a good thing.] He said my brakes were fine, but probably needed to change the brake fluid before too long, but the issue was with my tire with the slow leak...there was a nail in it and it was too close to the wall and couldn't be repaired. I had to buy a new one. On top of that, my front tires were about 2,000 miles from needing to be replaced. In other words, we needed 4 new tires. Merry Christmas to us. We didn't realize that we should have asked for gift cards to Firestone for Christmas. 

However, I kind of took it as one of those frustrating things that happens, but was really God's way of taking care of us. We drove back down to Fort Worth, from Oklahoma, on Christmas Day...and it was sleeting and snowing. It was slick as it was, but had we not had the new, upgraded tires, we could have been in a lot worse shape. That total of 6 hours spent in the tire shop didn't seem so bad after all. 

We spent that night in Fort Worth with my brother and sister-in-law, so the next morning, Kyle loaded the car back up to head back home to Houston. After about 20 minutes on the road, I realized he forgot to grab our pillows. Now, I can make do with just about whatever kind of pillows I have available...Kyle, however, is extremely high maintenance when it comes to pillows. So, I had to have my brother ship us our pillows. Do you know how dumb you feel having to have pillows shipped? Well, you do. But Kyle got his pillows the next day and was happy. 

Last Saturday we went to a really nice steakhouse here in Houston for our 4th anniversary. I absolutely hated ordering that nice of a cut of beef and having it cooked over the Medium threshold, but what must be done...must be done. Our hiccup came, however, with our appetizer. Kyle had heard that the calamari appetizer was amazing, so we decided to give it a try (that, and it was one of the few non-raw/potentially under cooked items for me to choose from). It was prepared in and Asian style with sweet chili sauce and some other garnishing. I had taken several bites while Kyle was taking pictures of his plate, and after he had taken a bite or two, I made a horrible realization. One of the garnishments was crushed peanuts. Kyle is very much allergic to peanuts. No where on the menu did it mention peanuts or have an allergy warning. To top it off, he normally keeps Benadryl in his car...but of course we had driven mine to dinner. Luckily, he had only taken a bite or two. We informed the waitress of the issue and she then told her manager. They re-made the dish for us without peanuts, and then we just waited to see if he would start to turn red and puff up. Fortunately, I guess he didn't ingest any peanuts, or not enough to cause a reaction, because he never seemed to have a reaction and we were able to enjoy our entire dinner without having to make a dash to the drug store. 

I currently have a cold. Prior to becoming pregnant, I have had, probably, four colds or less over the last six years. I have now had four colds over the past six months. Luckily, the cold virus doesn't effect the pregnancy/baby in any way...it just sucks to be sick. Plus, with needing to take off with the baby, I want to do everything that I can to not miss work. But, I also don't want to get anyone else sick...especially since there's another preggo in my office. 

While I'm getting over my cold, Kyle has been sleeping in a guest room upstairs. This is in part to limit his exposure to my germiness, but also to try and get a good night's sleep. I have a difficult time getting comfortable as it is...throw major congestion, blowing my nose, and coughing to that and our bedroom is not a peaceful place for slumber. Anyway, Kyle likes Gus to sleep with him in bed, so while he's in a separate bed than me...they get to snuggle. However, this morning, around 4-ish I think, I hear Gus rumble down the stairs and then the back door open. I assumed he needed to pee, and then he came in the bedroom with me and Kyle went back upstairs. After being in the bedroom with me a while, I heard him whimper, which is what he does on Saturday mornings when he feels that we've slept too long. So, I just told him "no" and went back to sleep since I knew that Kyle had just let him out to do his business. When I finally did get up, I went in the kitchen to find a massive pile of poo by the pantry door. Apparently his whimper was not in total vain. Gus hid by the wall with his ears down and tail tucked. He knew he had done wrong, but under the circumstances, I was glad he did it on the tile floor instead of the carpet in our bedroom. 

I had my 28 week doctor's appointment this morning, and my OB was less than thrilled with my weight gain over the holidays. I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I didn't think it was going to be that bad either. I guess I need to get back in the habit of using my calorie counter just to make sure that I'm getting enough, but not too much. Ugh!



1 comment: