Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rationale of a Woman

Typically, I set my coffee maker up the night before so that all I have to do in the morning (in my sleepy haze) is flip the switch and the magical brew begins. Last night, however, I was so exhausted I just didn't bother. I thought, eh, I'll make tea or something simple. I don't necessarily need coffee tomorrow morning.


So this morning rolls around. My alarm goes off and I'm suddenly very aware that I have a massive headache. On my way to let Gus out, I remembered that of course, this would be the morning I had previously decided that I did not need coffee...when in fact this is the VERY morning that I NEED coffee. 


So a give in a make a pot.


As it's brewing, I make another terrible discovery. No milk, no powdered Coffeemate. The world is going to end. I have to have some type of dairy, real or fake, in my coffee...just something to take away some of the acid. 


Then I had a light-bulb moment.


I'm not sure how or why I remembered this, but I watched one of Pioneer Woman's episodes on Food Network where she showed how she makes her own iced lattes (because she's two hours from a Starbuck's) by keeping a vat of cold brewed coffee in her refrigerator. She put a splash of vanilla, ice, and of course coffee, then she added something to her concoction that I had never thought of before...sweetened condensed milk


Holy Johosephat. Sugar and dairy, the two things I put in my coffee, in one convenient little can.


In my pantry, I always keep baking/dessert basics in case I need to throw something together at the last minute, so I knew that I had sweetened condensed milk in there. 


Knowing that the product isn't exactly "healthy"...I had to rationalize. Here's how it went down...


I can't put that in my coffee. It's 70 calories per tablespoon!


You worked out last night and are playing volleyball tonight, you'll burn it off

I'm trying to cut down on refined sugar


It's dairy, you need the calcium


I'll have to open a whole can just for a tablespoon or two


You have plastic wrap, it'll keep in the 'fridge

I'll waste the rest of it because it's not enough to put into a recipe now


You can put it in your coffee for the next week


No I can't


Yes you can


Okay, on a scale of 1-10, how bad do I need this coffee?


9.5


SOLD!




And just so you know, it was some dang good coffee. 





No comments:

Post a Comment