Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Perspiration and Precipitation

So...exactly two weeks from today, Kyle and I will be packing the last little bit of our things while waiting for the moving truck and men to arrive. And by packing I mean, throwing all of the miscellaneous stuff into random boxes and/or trash bags and putting them in our car. I'm so ready to have a place for everything. Even in our house in Tulsa, a lot of our things were in the attic simply because we didn't have enough storage. There are a lot of wedding presents I'm certain I will see for the first time since opening them at our showers. I'm also ready to have a good, working kitchen again. The one in our rent house is smaller than the one I had in my studio apartment in college. I love to cook in general, but this kitchen makes it so difficult. BUT ONLY TWO MORE WEEKS!!


I've been pretty proud of myself and my workout regimen. I've been going to spin class at least twice a week, and then either doing a weight lifting class or doing cardio and weights on my own one or two nights. I love spin, but man is it hard. About twenty minutes in I look at the clock and think "oh crap, 40 more minutes? There is absolutely no way that is happening" But when I'm done...I feel like I just conquered some demons. When I went this past Saturday morning, I didn't realize that I was congested until about half way through the class when my heart was racing on some of the easier stuff and I couldn't seem to catch my breath. What's that brain and heart? You need oxygen? My bad. Note to self, take a decongestant before going to morning classes. 


Also, I saw someone mention something about girls that wear their hair down to workout on FB yesterday, and how odd that is. Hair down and full-on going out make-up just makes me feel gross. There's a chick in my spin class that is really petite, but she has thick hair to her waist that she leaves down, and more black eye shadow than I will use in a year's time. I don't even want my pony tail touching my back when I'm going to sweat that much...it gets pulled back in a tight, sloppy chignon. And if I have make-up on...it's left over from what I put on at 6 a.m. and didn't get a chance to wash off before going to the gym. If you like wearing your hair down to workout, I suppose it's whatever floats your boat...but I just don't get it.


Now that I live south of the Red River, and south of DFW for that matter...I don't mind the unpredictability of Spring weather. This past weekend, I watched the weather maps and coverage of everything going on in Oklahoma. The thing is, with hurricanes, meteorologists can at least give people warning of the path that it might take. Tornadoes are a whole other ballgame. The only thing meteorologists can really predict regarding tornadoes is when the conditions will be "right" for them to form. The only thing fun about Spring weather in Oklahoma are the meteorologists themselves. The ones on the major networks are quite charismatic, and take their job very seriously...to the point that people have created games out of their broadcasts and weather updates. Games you ask? Yes, games. Like bingo and drinking games. Every time Gary England says a certain county, that's a dot or a drink. See someone with out a shirt and minus some teeth getting interviewed about the trailer they saw get tossed? (an equivalent would be a woman in a house dress, no bra and desperately needs one, and rollers in her hair) That's three drinks and at least four dots on your bingo card. If the cross-street nearest you is mentioned, time to toss the bingo card, finish your drink and head down to the storm shelter or interior closet or bath tub.




In all seriousness, though, tornadoes are very scary and can obviously do a lot of damage. We saw one go through our front pasture when I was a kid. It's pretty incredible to see a tree trunk fly horizontally across your front yard. We lost an old cinder block shed in our back pasture, but that was it...and we were lucky that was it. There are a lot of people who have lost everything due to tornadoes. That, I can't imagine. 


Here's to feeling blessed to live in a tornado-free zone, and heartfelt prayers for those who have lost so much. 

2 comments:

  1. One of my yoga instructors wears her hair down alot, one of the only times she puts it up is during her "Rock N' Roll" class which is more of a cardio based yoga class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga with my hair down would drive me crazy just because it would be in my face all of the time. I'd rather have the tension on my scalp.

    ReplyDelete