Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Morning Sanity

The one complaint I have about Houston is, of course, the traffic. There's simply no way around it, unless you leave for work at 5:00 a.m....and that's not even a guarantee. The traffic report during the morning news programs take up as much time as the weather and other news segments. It's serious stuff. 


So every morning when I go to my car, I kind of give myself a pep talk. "hurrry, hurry, oh crap you're 2 minutes behind...ooh the bus hasn't come by yet, maybe I have a chance!...how does my traffic map app look? Still green!...go, go!" Or something like that. 


I then spend about 30-40 minutes hanging out on the tollway with my fellow commuters. For the most part, it's a carefree drive because it's only two lanes with very few entrances and exits. People just get on, stay in their lane, and go. But, there's always that one guy that thinks he's Mario Andretti, and that weaving around will get him where he's going a little faster. Unfortunately for him, there is such a thing as road Karma. What's that Mr. Andretti? You need over now? Oops, sorry!


Yes, I am that driver. I'll forgive, but I don't forget. 


Anyway, the best part of my drive is at the end...and not just because the commute is over. The last part of my route includes an over-pass that takes me directly East towards downtown. Around 7:00 a.m. this time of year, as I come around the over-pass high above everything else...I get to see the most perfect sunrises. This morning it was an awesome array of pinks and purples with the glow of a big orange sun coming from the horizon, and silvery, glittery clouds strewn among all the color. I wish I could have taken a picture.


It's by far the thump in the head I need to forget about the stressful drive behind me, and remember what's important in life. It reminds that God is so much bigger than I can even imagine. 


This past week, the cherry on top has been the parking garage. Yes, the parking garage. Ours is about 8 stories high, and it has these massive trellises running up the sides. I had always thought it was just a type of ivy growing up the metal frame...that was until it bloomed this past week. Turns out the greenery is actually Jasmine, and while it's blooming, the smell of exhaust, engine oil, and cigarette smoke is completely dispelled. I always hated Jasmine-scented things and didn't really understand the big deal about it, but now that I've been engulfed by the real thing, I get it. I'd bottle it too, if I could.


Happy Hump Day everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment