So, I thought it was interesting timing that after my little post on Botox that I woke up with a migraine on Thursday morning. That four-day tension headache finally manifested into the feeling of an ice pick going through my left eye, and that was after being woken up at 2:30 a.m. with nausea. Fun times.
I spoke with a friend in medical school and she just kept telling me...GO GET A MASSAGE! I didn't have time this weekend, but I will try to work that in this coming week...I know she's right. In the meantime, I do have an appointment for a consultation with a cosmetic dentist who treats TMJ with Botox. I'm not committing to anything yet, but I want to have all of the information before I make a decision either way.
So this weekend, my Dad came down for a visit. We enjoy just hanging out and drinking large sums of coffee, but being new to a city that offers so much, I want to take advantage of every opportunity to go do and see things. I had heard a lot about Houston's museums, so I checked out what exhibits were going on. I found that The Houston Museum of Natural Science has an exhibit about the Civil War. With my Dad being from Mississippi, I thought he would find it interesting too...so we went!
All three of us enjoyed the exhibit, as it focused a lot less on the battles and chronological things that most history books covered, and more on the human side of the war. At one point, a black gentleman and I were both reading a section about why women couldn't serve in the Army, and why black men who served wouldn't be issued a firearm. My how far we've come. The exhibit had a lot of artifacts, but the most incredible was the original 13th Amendment with Abraham Lincoln's signature. For a week in March, they are going to have the original Emancipation Proclamation. What an opportunity to see documents that had such a distinct impact on our nation. I can't wait to go back and take my Mother and brother-in-law...they're both Jr. High history teachers; they'll love it!
Trivia: Did you know that the Arlington Cemetery in Washington D.C. was once the site of the Freedman Village (housing for liberated slaves), and was also once known as Arlington Estate...owned by Robert E. Lee? I highly doubt any of that was coincidence.
The other highlight of my weekend was my dessert at dinner Saturday night. Normally when I go to a nice restaurant, I order the creme brulee...I don't know why, I just do. This time, however, something jumped out at me off of the menu...Rocky Road Bread Pudding. I'm a huge bread pudding fan, but typically if they skew too far away from the traditional New Orleans variety, I steer clear. But this one had me curious...and I was not disappointed. They brought me a huge piece of custardy bread pudding with semi-sweet chocolate chunks sprinkled throughout out, a caramel sauce with walnuts drizzled on top, and topped with a piece of homemade marshmallow the size of the bread pudding portion. It was freakin' amazing. The best part...I couldn't eat it all and I got to take it home ; )
So that was my weekend, nurtured mind and happy stomach.

No comments:
Post a Comment