Well, my last post about this mentioned that I had a consultation with a cosmetic dentist to get more information and assess my condition.
Long story short...I ended up doing it that appointment. I've had a few people ask about my experience, as they have headache issues as well, so I'm more than happy to divulge my encounter and the effects.
Here's how it went down.
I met with the dentist and we just talked for a while about the history of my headaches, what I've tried in the past, etc. This was really important to me. Any doctor that reads my reason for being there on the chart and immediately prescribes medication...I tend to steer away from. Anyway, after we talked, he felt around my jaws, head, neck and shoulders...pulling, pushing, stretching. It wasn't comfortable by any means, but again, he was doing a thorough assessment of my condition. After all of that, he explained that he suggested doing injections in my jaw muscles, temporal muscles, and neck muscles. It was really was up to me as to what I wanted to spend and/or felt comfortable doing. He also recommended that I start getting massages regularly. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get insurance to pay for that ; )
I'm fairly "scientific method"-minded, so I went ahead and had him inject Botox into my jaw muscles alone. Reason being, if TMJ is really the primary source of my headaches, then this should take care of it. If not, I need to look at something else.
He mixed the solution and used a very tiny needle and injected the solution into two places on both sides. Quite painless.
Effects.
It takes about 2-5 days for the medicine to "engage", and it's been a little over a week now for me. I suppose I thought it would feel numb, but it's not numb, I just can't activate that very back part of the jaw muscle...you know, the part that sticks out when you clench your jaws really hard? I did notice that both sides are not even, as my right side will stick out a little when I clench, but I still can't clench with the amount of pressure that I could prior...and no, you can't see a difference unless I really bite down...and I don't go around gritting my teeth.
As for my headaches, I've had a few small ones, but they seem to go away quite quickly or with just a couple of Tylenol.
Like I mentioned earlier, one of my goals was to isolate the clenching habit as a factor so that I could observe other behaviors, habits, etc. that might contribute to my headaches. The worst headache I've had the last week, I realized that I was dehydrated. As soon as I was able to re-hydrate...it got better. I have also been concentrating on my posture (which I completely suck at) and how much sugar and caffeine I'm consuming. I've been doing better on the caffeine...not so well on the sugar. It's Christmas for crying out loud!!
Another odd habit I've noticed...is holding my breath. I know that sounds weird, and it is weird. I ran up the stairst in our house the other night and I noticed that I felt pressure in my head...then I realized that I had held my breath as I ran up the stairs. I'm pretty sure your brain needs more oxygen, not less. I should probably take up yoga and get into that breathing thing.
Anyhow, this is my experience thus far. I can't speak to migraines or other types of headaches as they're all so different depending on the person, but if nothing else, it's made me more aware of other factors. I wish it were an isolated cause and this were a cure-all, but I'm nearly certain it's not. But, if it can give me a little relief and allow me to suffer a little less, then I'm all for it!*
*Side note, I'm not a weenie and my headaches aren't just a nussaince. Okay, sometimes they are just a nussaince, but there are more times than not that they inhibit my ability to be productive at work, be nice(r) to my husband, and enjoy life in general. In other words, if I could get away with them just being annoying, I would. This is an extreme step for me and it should be for anyone. Feel free to take my account into consideration, and I welcome anyone to ask questions, but please do your own homework before deciding to have this procedure.
No comments:
Post a Comment