Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Kitchen Wrecks

Well, I've had a few kitchen disasters recently. I suppose it's like anything else...you do it long enough, something bad will happen. You ride horses long enough, you will get thrown off. You play soccer for a long time, you're likely to have an ankle or knee injury. 

Stuff just happens sometimes.

So what did I do?

Well, Saturday, I was making a salad that I wanted to put thinly sliced apples in, so I pulled out my handy-dandy mandolin, that looks a lot like this...


[I'm sure you can already tell where this is going]

I'm always super careful when I use it, and I didn't use the safety guard this time because I knew that I wasn't taking the apple all the way down...just part of the way. 

Well, part of the way was just enough for me to catch my thumb on the blade. I quickly grabbed my thumb with a towel so that I wouldn't get blood on anything, and raced to the bathroom. I washed it off as best I could and then proceeded to put three band-aids on it. And then I bled through those, so I re-wrapped it with three more band-aids and finished it off with some vet-wrap. It's actually healing a lot better than I thought it would, but I have to keep a bandage on it because as it dries, the edges of the cut curl up and the dry skin catches on other things. Grossed out yet?!

........................

My most gut-wrenching offense occurred Thursday night.

I knew I'd be doing some cooking over the weekend for other things, so I wanted to make a big batch of something that we wouldn't mind eating for a few meals over a few days. I had made lasagna and chili the week before...so those were out. Finally I decided to make a pot of seafood gumbo! It's a lot of work, but it's really one of my favorite meals, and Kyle likes it a lot as well. Win, win!

Thursday after work, I went to the grocery store to get all of the items I would need for the gumbo and all of my weekend cooking. For the gumbo, I purchased some fresh Gulf shrimp, lump crab meat, and organic/natural andouille sausage (not supposed to have the preservatives and nitrates in regular sausage during pregnancy).

When I got home, I started to work on my gumbo. One smart thing that I had done previously, was make a big batch of roux from my last gumbo, and froze a portion of it. This saved me at least 45 minutes. Anyway, I sauteed my vegetables in the roux and slowly added all of my other ingredients, including a stock that I made using the shrimp shells and odd pieces of the onion and bell pepper I had diced earlier. 

The whole process took about two or so hours, but it was worth it. It was tasting awesome, and I knew that it would taste even better the next day...because that's just what gumbo does. 

I set the pot on the counter to cool while I did some other house work, but made sure to keep the kitchen lights on as a reminder to come back in there and put the pot in the refrigerator. My reminder worked because I did remember to go back and put the pot of gumbo in the refrigerator in our laundry room...except I needed to set it on a trivet in the refrigerator because the bottom of the pot was still a little warm.

And that's where it all went to hell in a hand basket. 

I went in the laundry room the next morning to feed Gus, and there on the dryer sat my pretty red dutch oven with all of that gumbo goodness. I had never gone back to get the trivet, and I, therefore, never went back to the laundry room to put the pot in the refrigerator. 

I thought I was going to cry, but I didn't. I just cussed a lot under my breath. 

I haven't felt that stupid in a very long time. Ugh, it still makes me mad!

.........................

On a good note, I did have one kitchen success (sort of) this last weekend. We had a Thanksgiving pot luck with our church group, and I attempted to make my Nana's cornbread dressing. I have to say that it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty darn close!!! I think if I had had the drippings from the turkey and added a little more celery, it would have been spot on! Of course, our family always has this huge debate about whether or not there's not enough/too much sage. I erred on the side of 'not enough', but I may be a little more daring next time and add another 1/8 of a teaspoon and see if I get a rise out of anyone ; )









2 comments:

  1. So what did you do with the gumbo? Finish it? Cook it? I'm confused!!! How much time did you kill?

    We ALL make kitchen mistakes. And you have preggo brain. Don't worry about it. (-:

    ~K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was completely cooked/finished. It took over two hours to cook. I had just set it on the counter to cool before putting in the refrigerator. It was sitting out all night long, so it was absolutely no good. I put it in the refrigerator that morning just so it wouldn't stink, but have since thrown it out.

      Delete