More than anything, I just FELT good!!
During that time period, I think the thing I learned the most is that there's not a quick fix and you can't just change one thing about your lifestyle if you want to change your body...you have to change almost everything. It's cardio, strength training, diet, sleep, stress management, etc...it all has an impact.
When I first started, I thought because I was working out now, I could still eat what I was eating and see results...WRONG! I'm not saying I went crazy and eliminated every refined carb and never put sugar to my lips, but I did make myself aware of what I was eating and what impact it had on my body. Basically, if it didn't have some kind of benefit or nutritional value, I didn't eat it. Why waste calories on something that's not doing me any good?
That being said, I also learned that I have to have something sweet everyday. I don't mean a pint of ice cream, I'm talking about a couple of Hershey Kisses. I tried to eat totally "clean" one week, and on day three I totally binged. I felt gross, but man it tasted good. I just realized that I can't completely deprive myself or I'll go nuts.
One of the best tools I found regarding diet was My Fitness Pal. It's both a website and an app, and it helps you track what you're eating, as well as log exercise. It really showed me what I was putting in my body and helped me make better choices. There are a lot of things that I didn't realize were high in calories, but were. It's very easy to sabotage your efforts if you're misinformed. Also, you can connect with other members, so if you and a few of your friends join...you can hold one another accountable and encourage each other as you all work towards your personal goals.
Also, you can run 15 miles and do two spin classes a week, and yes, you'll probably lose weight, but cardio alone will not shape your body. Strength training is vital to really toning your body overall. Plus, women need to be life-long strength trainers as it's imperative to the bone and joint health that women are notorious for having issues with.
Speaking of being a woman, my OBGYN told me that women who exercise regularly are much more likely to carry their baby to term, as well has have an easier time with delivery. Obviously, that's not a guarantee for either one...but it's sure as heck a good reason to try!
Lastly, if you're not getting enough sleep, or allowing long-term stress in your life...your body will never change. The body has the ability to go into "survival mode". If it's not getting the calories or rest it needs, or is being attacked by environmental factors (stress), it will hang on to what it has for dear life for fear of wasting away.
I say all of that to say, I'm by no means perfect in the health arena...the above is just what I learned. Granted, I knew a lot of it before I started my program, but until I experienced it for myself, I didn't believe it...much less practice it. I'm stubborn like that.
Here's to getting strong (again).
I've stopped running in the past 3 months for no other reason than I forget to take my glucosamine and without it, it hurts to run. I've been doing yoga instead but I really feel doing a combo of both would be the most beneficial. I have also unfortunately not been eating as well as I used to, but perhaps your post has inspired me to get my butt in gear!
ReplyDeleteWell, I feel like part of this post was an attempt to hold myself accountable. I figured if I told everyone else what I was planning to do...I'd actually have to do it! It's really difficult to be perfect about healthy eating and exercise all of the time, but every little bit helps, I think.
DeleteI'm planning on taking up yoga as well. I am a firm believer that a mix of different activities is the most beneficial and easier on our bodies.