This past weekend, we went up to Tulsa to visit some friends.
First off, it was cold. Like, really cold. Kyle was supposed to play golf on Saturday, but it was 35 degrees, 15 mph winds, and drizzling. Ridiculous. That's a part of Tulsa/Oklahoma that I do not miss.
So, we watched football all day...which was fine with Kyle. The friends we were staying with had built a house with theater room built for football watching. The other wives and myself hung out downstairs and played with all of the babies.
Driving around and seeing our former haunts was a little bittersweet. I really like Tulsa as a city, and miss it quite a bit. It has most everything a large city needs, but it still has a family/community feel to it. Even going to church on Sunday felt more intimate than any service I had been to in a long time...and when Kyle I joined, we were worried about how large it was. Everything is relative.
I also really miss our old house. Don't get me wrong, the one we built is beautiful and I love everything about it, but our house in Tulsa was just quaint and lovely...and perfect for the two of us. As we were landing, I was secretly hoping that we were going "home" to our old house...starting a fire in the fireplace, playing with Gus in the floor, and just having a relaxing evening.
Food-wise, I made sure that I got to eat at Charleston's and Hideaway. I know, you're thinking, but those aren't even the best/nicest places. You would be correct, but you see, Houston has even better, nicer places...but they don't have a Charleston's or Hideaway Pizza, or anything that comes close to them. What can I say, old habits and taste-buds die hard.
One thing we got a kick out of was the "traffic". We got in our rental car at the airport and drove to our friends' house in Broken Arrow in what used to seem to take an hour...this time felt like nano-seconds. As we passed the dreaded intersection of 71st & Memorial...we laughed at the fact that we used to think that it was the most horrid place on earth (traffic-wise) and that we avoided it like the plague. Now, it's merely child's play compared to what we see and contend with everyday.
All in all, I'm so glad we made the leap and moved to Houston. We love our new city, home and friends. But, Tulsa will always be a very special place to us, and we will always call ourselves Okies!
I love Tulsa, for the reasons you mentioned. It has everyone and yet isn't too big. I don't do well with traffic. (-: I don't plan on ever leaving Tulsa unless God moves us. (-:
ReplyDeleteHonestly, we wouldn't have left had it not been a God thing. Every time we prayed for a reason/open door not to leave Tulsa, we were shown a very obvious reason to make the move. I suppose that's why it was a lot easier to embrace our new life rather than second-guess ourselves.
DeleteHopefully you never have to move...but you never know!